Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Attack of the Australian Salmons

Photobucket

Good day guys,

I’m back from Yallingup, 3th times south this month, clocked over 2500+km. Probably could've memorize the entire road kills’ locations by now. Seen their transformation; from fresh to bloated to junky stages.

This trip was tough as compared, the salmon schools are getting smaller and fewer between, makes spotting for them very hard, signalling the season coming to an end. Casted lures for 2 straight days into every possible fish-holding gutters within range. I was more determined and the extra effort was eventually paid off.

PhotobucketDay 1, 24th april, was uneventful with no salmon catches. A family that arrived earlier had 4 salmons from a school that was herded close to shore by a pod of dolphins.

Day 2, 25th april. Didn’t have to wait long on the second day, sighted a school holding position in a gutter while walking the beach. I casted my popper behind them and worked the lure back frantically. BANG, roughly 4 meters away from the shore, my popper was smashed big time. I ran along the beach trying to drag the fish out of the gutter, away from the school, hoping not to spook the rest and in that instance, through the curl of the wave, I saw about 8 salmons cruising along after it. I was pumped, my heart was in my mouth. Just imagine the level of adrenaline pumping thr my vents. Without any commotion the fish was landed after putting up an awesome fight; tail dance and leaping a metre clear off the surface half a dozen times.

Photobucket

Again the popper went back into the gutter which resulted in another immediate hookup. Same old same old, got the fish in eventually. Didn’t attempt to cast my lure after getting my second fish of the day, I’m a happy man, got what i came for and left the place, yet again, very contented.

Noticed the salmons from my second day had scaring on them. One of them even looked like it came from a shark.

Also lots of venomous man o'war jellyfish washed up on shore, watchout there. :x :x
Photobucket

Hopefully those salmons are still around when i head south again on 1st of May with Herbs, Jeff and Chris.

Cheers,
Josh Tan

No comments:

Post a Comment